It wasn't love at first sight. I don't even like the Food Network, which is mostly full of grotesque American men force-feeding themselves enough greasy dead animal to feed a third world country for a week. But sometimes I surf past an actual cookery show, and I lingered on Bitchin Kitchen because I was intrigued by the title. I saw Nadia G and to be absolutely honest, my first thought was "Brassy Brooklyn blonde, so totally not my type."
Then I watched her in action, because I was too tired to haul my ass off to bed. And now, late at night when Mr Ashbless isn't around, I can't help myself sneaking a lecherous peek, and watching in guilty fascination ...
Reasons to like Nadia G:
- She is kinda scary.
- She isn't from Brooklyn, she's Canadian - I believe the accent is a total fake.
- She isn't a chef, she's a comedian.
- (But the food actually looks pretty good. Not that I'm watching for the food, but it isn't actively off-putting)
- When she talks her face gets all screwed up and does weird things.
- Sometimes the Crazy shows in her eyes and she goes off on a total rant.
- She keeps a stable of underdressed male totty on the show for no reason other than their entertainment value.
- She wears the most unsuitable clothes for cooking in, and six-inch stilletos, and ghastly nail-polish.
- She has perfected the "come fuck me" look as she says "Let's plate this."
So I say surrender to the schtick, and enjoy. You've got to admit it's hotter than Man versus Food.