Monday 4 January 2010

Eyecandy Monday - with vampire muses



A rather special, bumper Eyecandy Monday today, to celebrate the fact that on New Year's Eve I finished the first draft of  vampire novel Red Grow the Roses.* Yay and Double Yay!

So here for your delectation are some of the photos I've been using as models for my six vampires. These are the muses who have kept me company and provided me with inspiration.

Top of the post and top of the food-chain is Reynauld, who is the boss vampire in the book and an interfering control-freak Alpha. He's actually one of the Nice Guys - which means that pretty much everyone hates him. Even I can see that he needs a good slap. Which he gets ... and then some.



This is Estelle, whom nobody would ever describe as one of the Nice Guys. Hard as nails and twice as sharp, she gets off on hurting big brawny men.



This is Jason, who is the youngest vampire in the city and not the sharpest tool in the box. I think I'm going to have to change his name, cos I've realised that True Blood  beat me to "Jason = malleable blond horndog. " Damn.



This is Wakefield (the picture is actually Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd, but he's a dead ringer for what I had in mind). Poor Wakefield just wants to be left alone. Unfortunately he makes one itty bitty mistake, and brings the whole world crashing in on all their heads. Everything that hits the fan is his fault.




This is Roisin, who is so old she's losing her grip on material existence and turning into something that isn't even recognisably a vampire.




And this is Naylor, who is a shit. Don't mess with him.

So that's what I've been doing for the last 9 months. Now for revisions. Anybody got any suggestions to replace "Jason"?



*or, Six Vampires and a Chicken Joke, as I have been calling it privately.

14 comments:

neve black said...

How wonderful. I love your sexy muses, Janine. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on completion! That's so fantabulous.

Hmmm...how about the name Ben in exchange for Jason?

Jeremy Edwards said...

Congratulations to you and the whole gang!

And how neat that you finished the draft on NYE! ("Neat" as in "cool," and also "neat" as in "tidy.")

Janine Ashbless said...

Thanks guys - finishing before the end of 2009 certainly was a psychological boost!

He does look like a Ben, doesn't he? In fact he looks a lot like this Ben.

Jo said...

Ahhh, that's why he looked like Ben. I do love that Ben, I must admit.

Jacy?

Jace?

Noone would ever spot it...

Jonah?

Or you could make him Irish and go with Jiarlath.

I do love a J-name.

Janine Ashbless said...

Jiarlath? Awesome name! How's it pronounced, though?

Craig Sorensen said...

Congratulations! I'm glad to be joining you on making a big year-end milestone!

Loved the various images (Syd Barrett one is outstanding) and can see where they inspired you.

But I have to admit a particular fondness for "Chains." Very, very sexy.

Sekrit Shoppa said...

It all looks so tempting! And 'Being Human' is on again soon - yay!

Happy Vampiric New Year!

Janine Ashbless said...

I'm going to watch my new True Blood DVD right now.
:-)

Lucy Felthouse said...

Wow, the book sounds great Janine - I can't wait to read it.

Blondie looks like a 'Drew' to me.

Jo said...

Sorry, officially, no J sound, I think it's pronounced Yarleth...

Means a prince... he was a saint, of course :)

Janine Ashbless said...

Ben ...Drew ... Bed ... Drew ...
Aargh - they both work!

Janine Ashbless said...

(Note Freudian slip above!)

Jo said...

Bendrew!

Jeremy Edwards said...

"Bendrew" seems like a perfect example of a made-up(?) name that sounds like a plausible real name. Those are gold, imo.