Wednesday 24 June 2009

News (in briefs)

Well, in boxer briefs anyway - my prefered style of male underwear.

Woohoo - Scarlet: the magazine that turns women on is talking to me about featuring some of my work. Nothing cast in concrete yet, but they're currently scheduling an excerpt from Wildwood for the August issue and a brand-new story for the September one. Fingers crossed!



The Whohub website contacted me a while back to ask for an interview. Whohub is "a directory of interviews with professionals in the fields of communication, arts, humanities, technology, marketing, and any other activity with a creative flair " and my interview is now up: if you go on over you can find out a number of things I've not talked about anywhere else, including the theme for Red Grow the Roses. And you can do your own interview!

Talking of Red Grow the Roses, wordcount is up to 40K (that's halfway even if I push the wordcount to the max), yipee! My last chapter involved some entertaining research on Victorian fashion.

[click to enlarge]

Finally, big BIG thanks to everyone who has recently put up a review of one of my books on Amazon or elsewhere. I am really grateful, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the review copies. Particular thanks to the unsolicited Elfreader of Dallas!

9 comments:

Nikki Magennis said...

Red grow the roses: Coool. Hurry up and finish it, please.

Grats on the features and interviews and reviews!

Janine Ashbless said...

You're in Scarlet this month, aren't you Nikki?

Nikki Magennis said...

Allegedly - though I haven't got hold of a copy yet.

Jeremy Edwards said...

Wow, Janine, that's a super interview! Your answers are so witty and insightful and succinct—well done!

I laughed out loud at the nausea punch line; and "it's not the end that matters, it's the way you get there" is such a perfect encapsulation of what drives erotica.

Janine Ashbless said...

Thx, J!

"Succinct" is a virtue, yes? I save lengthy philosophising for my fiction. My fictional voice isn't much like my blogging voice at all (my blogging voice is nearer to my speaking one). Different vocabulary, different subject matter. I find it easier to be honest about uncomfortable things when writing fiction.

Jeremy Edwards said...

"Succinct" is a virtue, yes?

Not that I have anything against interviews with high word counts, mind you. But it's impressive how much wisdom you packed into a small number of words!

Sekrit Shoppa said...

'Writing erotic fiction is like undertaking a series of wild no-holds-barred affairs' sans consequences - exactly, exactly, exactly! And with the added satisfaction of getting approval from other people rather than censure for your libidinousness (is that a word?)!

Great interview all round! And vampires, eh?

Janine Ashbless said...

Ssh - Don't tell everyone Justine! Think of the children...

Emerald said...

That interview cracked me up, Janine! I laughed at so many things I stopped keeping track to excerpt examples, lol (though I recall the last line was one of them).

What a cool question about your mind being your work tool and how you take care of it. Heh...I'm pondering that now. :)

Anyway, I much enjoyed reading your interview — thanks for sharing, and congratulations!