Friday 6 December 2013

When I was 46...

This is me, two weeks ago :-)

It was my 47th birthday this week, so in order to keep a record of (and hopefully a brake on) my slide into senescence, here is is my annual post on Fings Wot I Have Done For the First Time Ever.

When I was forty-six, for the first time

  • I bought a  Xmas-scented room-freshener (Dude, not a good start!)
  • And a Kardashian Kollection dress (!) ... which I reluctantly gave away, because my boobs weren't big enough to fill it.
  • I ate at a Yo Sushi with the awesome little conveyor belt thingy!! Woooo!

There were four of us, I swear

  • I read all four Gospels and the Book of Genesis all the way through. No, I never did that as a Christian. Most Christians don't.
 
This is serious anthropological research, I'll have you know
  • I missed a plane.
  • I started a course of IPL. It hasn't worked yet.
  • I bought a Kindle, and discovered just how much truly shit self-published stuff there is out there :-0
  • I took my parents on holiday abroad (and we got on well!).
  • I visited three new countries: Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Croatia. All of which are beautiful and fascinating and deserve many future return visits.
Woot! This is an ACTUAL PROP from Game of Thrones - They use false walls and doors to close off streets during filming. Taken in Split, Croatia.
  • I swam with the fishies in the Red Sea - and didn't, despite my dire predictions, get eaten by a shark.
  • We finished our nine-year-long Dragonlance Dungeons & Dragons campaign ...and started on campaigns in 4th Edition D&D and Deadlands. (Huzzah, more rules-systems to learn...)
  • I fell in love with a BLUE WIG, and wore a bodystocking in semi-public. Twice, in fact. Different bodystockings too, but the same wig. Is lycra addictive?

  • I wrote Cover Him With Darkness, the novel, and finished These Fierce Enchantments, a third short story collection. Both should be published in 2014.
  • I heard the, ahem, "backward masking" on Stairway to Heaven.
  • I switched to heavy-duty facecreams for Older Skin. (Boooo!)
  • I went sea-kayaking (Yaaaaaay!)

  • I drank a pumpkin spiced latte, and a Long Island iced tea. I ate white truffles.
  • I started wearing eyeliner every day, even in private.

On that showing I reckon I'm only halfway dead so far, give or take :-) Not many publications this year though - books are like buses: none get printed for ages and then they all come out at once. Maybe I should stop arsing around on kayaks and get stuck into some writing?

2 comments:

Jo said...

Ok, I've been to the Pitt Rivers museum and Ripley's. Ermm...

Jo said...

Oh, erm, as in that's about it, not that they weren't fantastic.