Yes, it's my Birthday Blog Post, in which, every year, I look back with a critical eye on my life and check whether I need a kick in the ass or should just give in and collect my coffin.
When I was 45, for the first time ...
- I was invited to drinkies at the House of Lords
- I was propositioned in the street (very politely, in fact), on the way to an exhibition - the Naked Muse - where I bought a picture
- I went to Camden Market, probably the coolest place in Britain.
- I had three new books published (all in the space of a few months. Publishers - What are they like?): Heart of Flame, Red Grow the Roses, and Named and Shamed
- I saw geek-god Alan Moore live! And Jonathan Coulton! My nerd apotheosis...
- I wore a cheap-n-slutty glow-in-the dark minidress to a blacklight party
- I reported someone on Facebook for abusive language
- I visited Florence, Barcelona and Ravenna.
- I saw Mumford and Sons in concert!!!
- I crawled around an Etruscan necropolis. Two, actually!
- I went by motorhome all the way from from Italy to England, and right through the Alps in a tunnel.
- I ate samphire (salty).
- I swam in a freshwater lake (in Italy).
- I got my PADI open water scubadiving certification.
- I saw Mathilda, and Stomp, and Jesus Christ Superstar, all live.
- I appeared in a national newspaper - the Express.
- My name was mentioned in The Bookseller, on BBC Online, and ... by the Canadian Broadcasting Company!
- I backed something on Kickstarter. It still hasn't turned up.
- I co-edited the fiction for Geek Love, which is just the coolest anthology ever, and the highest-backed fiction project on Kickstarter. I found I rather like editing other people's work, mostly because I am mean.
- I was headhunted and contracted to write the first volume of The Book of the Watchers for Cleis.
- I went to Eroticon 2012, which was great but exhausting. Still not sure I can cope with 2 days in 2013!
- I had 10 short stories published. I'm definitely not going to manage that many next year!
- I went to a burlesque show.
- I slept in a yurt (I say slept ...), and watched the stars through the roof hole while possibly not entirely free of the influence of mind-altering substances. My hippy weekend.
- I went to the London Book Fair and hung out with the editors of Samhain and Ellora's Cave (No, not at the same time. Hell would freeze over first, I suspect).
- I got my kit off and posed butt-naked for photographs that'll appear in public. In Geek Love, in case you were wondering.
So: 45 was the year of sex, drugs and ... folk music.
I'm definitely not dead yet :-)