Friday 24 June 2011

Simple minded



Oh, I am so excited! I'm off to see Eighties stadium-rock group Simple Minds play live tonight! I never got to see them in their heyday, so this is total wish-fulfilment nostalgia.

I played this album so often:


I am, I admit, now slightly puzzled nowadays by why I thought Jim Kerr was totally gorgeous at the time.


I mean ... he's sort of, um ... Maybe it was the floppy hair? (He did have great hair - all gone now, sadly.) The tight leggings? Nah, it was the anthemic music. He sang and I thought he was beautiful. Lurv is blind.



Heh ... I did hear a joke about him, long ago:  
Q: How does Jim Kerr get a seven-inch erection?
A: He folds it in half.

I have NO IDEA whether this is fact-based. But I like to think that, unlike hair, some things don't diminish with age ;-)

6 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Now THAT'S a blast from the past! The vid of Ghostdancing is an excellent live performance.

All this takes me back to my days when I had just gotten out of the Army; Simple Minds was a staple on MTV. (Remember when they played music?)

One of my Simple Minds faves remains "Don't You (Forget About Me)" from the movie "The Breakfast Club."

Enjoy the show!

Jo said...

Ah, yes, my first thought is always The Breakfast Club. Have an emotion filled evening!

Janine Ashbless said...

Hey Craig! That jangly guitar riff on Ghostdancing just drives me wild with delight :-)

D'you know, I've never seen "The Breakfast Club"? For other people my age it is a formative 80s memory, but it passed me by. (In a reclaiming-my-misspent youth moment recently, I bought Warlock. Go mullets!)

I'm sure I'll enjoy the show - I'm desperately hoping he can still hit the big note on "Sanctify Yourself." And I will lift a (plastic) glass to you Craig when I'm there :-)

Janine Ashbless said...

Thanks Jo!

Janine Ashbless said...

HE LOOKS LIKE A WEE GLASWEGIAN THUG AND HE DANCES LIKE YOUR DAD, BUT HE CAN STILL SING!

Sorry, I'm a bit deaf. We were right at the front :-)

I had my first beer shower...

At least I hope it was beer.

It was certainly beer once ...

Craig Sorensen said...

Well, dancing never was exactly his thing, was it?!

Sounds like a great time ("golden shower" notwithstanding.)