Friday 20 February 2009

Victorian Kinkery

It's been ages since we've had some pervy Victorian art, hasn't it?

This picture is called The White Slave and is by Ernest Normand (1859-1923) . Swarthy Eastern potentate, naked white girl with splendid bottom ... it's the sort of thing that would make a decent upright Victorian couple secretly come over all peculiar in the art gallery... and in the case of some people rather more upright.

I've been delighted to find this website here: ArtMagick ,which is a gallery of 19th century artists and poets - some gloriously obscure - illustrating a "magic world of romance and pictured poetry". I want to live in these paintings!

2 comments:

Sekrit Shoppa said...

That's a lovely website. Did you see the Jeremy Paxman programme the other day? I'm looking forward to the next one about 'Home and Hearth' - I reckon there will be plenty of studies in seething Victorian repression.

Janine Ashbless said...

Oh yes - I'm following the Paxman series. Talking of which, I'm hoping to get a look at Ford Madox Brown's Work, in the flesh as it were, this weekend.