Wednesday 3 October 2012

Northumberlandia

There's a new Earth Goddess on the block - and I've been to see her!


Northumberlandia, the Lady of the North, has just opened to the public, only a couple of hours from my front door. She's the largest human landscape form in the world: 1300 ft long, and 112ft high at the forehead. She was designed by Charles Jencks and cost £3 million to build, as part of the restoration landscaping of the Shotton Coal Mine. I was totally unsurprised to learn that the county council had refused the planning application ... but then it was allowed on appeal to central government.

Heh.
Let's hope she gets on with the Angel. You don't want those two having a dust-up... ;-)

This is what she looks like from the air (pic from official website). I think she's beautiful - and will be even more so when the bare patches grow over with the seeded grasses and wildflowers. She's apparently visible from planes flying in to Newcastle airport, and trains heading up the east coast to Edinburgh.


She has magnificent boobies!


Here's me standing on one, and trying not to get blown off by the vigorous Northumbrian breeze:


And here's her face:


And a hand:


I imagine that on Solstices you won't be able to move for tripping over pagans :-)

9 comments:

Lucy Felthouse said...

Wow, that's sooooo cool! Another place to add to my list :)

Jules said...

Are those three pools of water to the left?

And what's she throwing in the air which looks like a spare pair of boobs?!

Janine Ashbless said...

It is cool, isn't it Lucy? I'm just so delighted that people are still doing this sort of thing in the 21st Century. What a cultural link back to thousands of years ago :-)

Janine Ashbless said...

Jules - yes, those are water ponds. As for the spare boobs she's pointing at ... I have no idea, but I'd love to ask the artist. I suspect he had something definite in mind, but just isn't saying.

Jeremy Edwards said...

Ha! She's tossing aside her bra—you know, just as the soundtrack swells and the dialogue transitions from clichéd banter to two- and three-syllable expressions of enthusiasm.

Janine Ashbless said...

OF COURSE!
:-D
Thank you Jeremy!

Jo said...

Oh, I think that's gorgeous :)

Jules said...

Brilliant answer. :)

Anyway, she is completely beautiful and I look forward to visiting when I'm next in Northumbria.

Nano said...

This is awesome. You can't beat a good earth Goddess! Mustgo and see it.