Friday 28 January 2011

The Priest Calendar


You may have noticed, gentle reader, that I have in the past been scathing about dogmatic religion in general, and downright rude about one sect in particular. But I would hate you to think me unfair. I am happy to acknowledge the good things that the Catholic Church has brought to the world. Among these (indirectly) must feature ... The Priest Calendar!


Yes, every year, the streets stalls of Rome feature a lovely little black-and-white calendar full of (purported) hot Catholic priests. I found this out because I have a friend who goes to Rome every year with her mother, and she always brings one back to display at work and hone her irony on.


Most of the men are rather clean-cut and pretty, but this guy below from a couple of years ago is my favourite:


I know one shouldn't judge a person's professional capabilities by their appearance, but to be honest I'm not sure he looks like someone I'd go to for spiritual solace. On the other hand, if I wanted to get tied up and have the demons exorcised the hell out of my ass, he'd be top of my list  :-)

The bad news is that the 2011 Calendario Romano is sold out.
The good news is that they are recruiting for the 2012 calendar! So if you know a cute and willing priest or seminarian...
(Damn, I can't even type that word without sniggering.)

Okay, that's enough playing nice. Normal service is now resumed.

10 comments:

Jo said...

I could never fancy a priest in one of those stupid hats. What are they thinking?

The calendar thing boggles my mind. But so does the designer priest attire shop in Milan. It's all so ... hypocritical.

I'm with you on the soulful spiritual prist though, yes, I would confess things to him.

Craig Sorensen said...

I could never fancy a priest in one of those stupid hats. What are they thinking?

Given the whole chastity thing (such as it is,) maybe that's the point... But then comes along this "hot priests" calendar.

Hypocrisy indeed.

I still can't think of priests and cardinals and not end up at the Monty Python "Spanish Inquisition" skit.

"Put her in the comfy chair, Cardinal Fang..."

Janine Ashbless said...

The beardy priest makes me think of the drinking, swearing and misbehaving priests in Father Ted!

Jo said...

The sexy bearded priest makes you think of Father JACK??

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KK2NryueIEY/SjFiG3tSnfI/AAAAAAAAAHY/hbcAIROK5Uc/s1600/father-jack1.jpg

Janine Ashbless said...

lol!

No, I was thinking of some surly young priest who visited and bullied Dougal. Might have have been in the football match episode?

My favourite ever FT scene was with the cows - "These are small: the ones out there are far away." I laughed for weeks. Complete genius.

Sekrit Shoppa said...

Father Damo Lennon! I love that episode.

I also feel I ought to have this calendar, given that I am currently writing some priestly shenanigans (though these boys and girls are Anglicans). I think Heaven must have sent this post to me :D.

Janine Ashbless said...

I'm a messenger from Heaven, Justine? I believe that, theologically, that makes me an angel ;-)

And I'd love to read your Anglican smut!

Sekrit Shoppa said...

There are some very rum goings-on in the vestry ;). I'll keep you posted.

Madeline Moore said...

Oh please, like Mr oh pardon me
Father three day's growth and shaggy hair is a real priest.
I just so, so, so do not think so.
I think the calendar makers cheated. That's right. That's what I think and I'm exercising my freedom of speech to say it,
And also, Father scruffy and gorgeous, if you would like to punish me for saying your calendar guys cheated, come to my Madeline Moore blog and we can arrange for me to, um, do my confession or for you to take my confession or however, in one of those little rooms with the screen between us, although halfway through you will reach through the screen and touch the various body parts I present you with until you can't stand it anymore and you come into my confession box and fuck me until we both die and go to - surprise! - heaven.
The end

Janine Ashbless said...

Madeline, you must do penance for your wicked doubting thoughts! And Father Scruffy will administer it. That'll teach you ;-)