Wednesday 19 January 2011

The anti-crush


Last week I watched Season of the Witch (which was a thoroughly enjoyable fantasy romp btw). But I watched it with gritted teeth, thanks to one thing: Nicholas Cage.


I have an anti-crush on Nicholas Cage. It's completely irrational. I recoil from the sight of him. My skin crawls. And it makes no sense at all - it's not like he's done anything to earn my dislike. I'm sure the gentleman is perfectly lovely in real life, though I know next to nothing about him except that he's a big comics fan, which ought to endear him to me. He called his son Kal-El for chrissakes, which wins a Geek Gold Medal: he is one of us. And he seems to deliberately pick roles in films that I'm going to be really tempted to watch: National Treasure, Season of the Witch, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Kick-Ass. Not classics of cinema any of them, but fun fantasy movies with a bit of thought put into them.


Which is a bit unfortunate really. Because the trailer for a new film is unveiled and I shout "Aargh -It's Nick bloody Cage! Again!"
 
And take a look: by the book, I should really fancy many of the characters he plays. The pictures here tick every one of my boxes - in theory. He goes out of his way to oblige my fantasies - I like grizzled, crusty, battered guys. I like action heroes. I like bald-at-the-front-long-hair-at-the back!* I even thought that Balthazar (in The Sorcerer's Apprentice) was a really romantic character - he's been separated from his true love for centuries but he hides his pain in order to tutor the movie's poxy ungrateful hero. Then Cage opened his mouth and this horrible drawling mumble came out and I went Eurghhhhhh.


It's the voice, at least partly. And the weak chin - he does remind me of  Jake "Haddock" Gyllenhaal. But I shouldn't revile a guy just because I don't fancy him. And I shouldn't not fancy him. I can only think someone has innoculated me with the Nicholas Cage Anitgen while I wasn't looking.

Is it just me? What about you? Have you got a completely baseless, irrational, anti-crush on someone famous?


*Hey, someone has to.
For a rundown of the Bad Haircuts of Nicholas Cage, check this out  :-)

7 comments:

Kat Black said...

Dicaprio. Real dislike and no idea why. He's a fab actor, appearing in fab films - but just one, split second glimpse of that face and grrr. Weird, huh?

Janine Ashbless said...

Ahah! Quite a few critics don't like Dicaprio either, I notice - I think it's a hangover from him being a pretty teen idol for them though.

Yep. We're weird! ;-)

Scarlett Knight said...

For me, it's Colin Farrell. I acknowledge he's good looking. He's even Irish like me. He can also act. But every time I see him, I want to kick him in the balls. I wonder if we were an item in a past life and he really did me wrong? The whole thing is irrational, and I'm glad you came up with the term "anti-crush" because that fits really well, lol.

Janine Ashbless said...

Woohoo! I am definitely not alone in my madness! Thank you Scarlett, although, oh, not liking Colin Farrell? I can only assume my post the other day would've sent you into a state of rage ;-)

Madeline Moore said...

Nick Cage and John Travolta were great in "Face Off'. I like his hangdog look, as in that movie with Cher, "Moonstruck". So I don't hate him but he isn't a box office draw to me. I don't care for Jake G. all that much, either.
I don't like guys who 'look sad' by pouting, except for Dennis Quaid, whom I love and who does pout heavily when he's playing unhappy. Colin Farrell is definitely not a draw for me, either. He bugs me. I should come up with one of my own, though. Hmmmmmm.Well, I'm always surprised when I find Tom Cruise cute. Really, his eyes are too close together.

Shanna Germain said...

I'm in the club. He makes me feel all shuddery, and NOT in a good way. Ick, ick, ick. I think it's partly his personal stuff too -- the Elvis obsession, for example. I am intrigued by Witch, but don't think I can get past him to actually watch it...

Janine Ashbless said...

Hey Madeline - Tom Cruise? Everyone hates him for the scientology thing, but now I will have to check out his creepy small eyes!

And Shanna, welcome to the club! Please sign your membership card and take the Oath of Loyalty...
;-)