Wednesday 10 January 2018

Pun-believable


I'm British. A terrible weakness for puns has been imprinted onto what passes for my brain by the all-dominating national culture, particularly the news media:


And yes that includes the BBC, that bastion of respectability:



In fact there seems to be some law that every hairdresser in the land HAS to have a goddawful punning name:



And this chippy is but five minutes from my house:

I admit to several punny titles for my short stories over the  years: Going Out with a Bang: The Icing on the Cake: Issues and Returns: Grinding. But John the cover artist for my soon-to be-republished story howled in complaint at this one!


I don't know what his problem is!

The best title I ever saw for an erotic story, btw, was Exes and Whys - which I believe was by Nikki Magennis. Puns don't have to be crude double-entendres ...

But it doesn't hurt 😜

No comments: