Wednesday 12 August 2015

The Chalice Well


During my trip to the West Country for Eroticon I took the opportunity to make a research visit to Glastonbury - in particular, to the Chalice Well Gardens, which features in my work-in-progress Falling Deep.

This site is a World Peace Garden (with the notable exception of when my nephew and niece are running around it ... sorry everyone....): sort of Interfaith with a tendency toward pagan, as far as I can tell.


 It's very pretty indeed!



See how the water is orangey-red? It contains a very high level of iron, which leaves a rusty deposit on the stones. Medieval Christian legend associates it with the Holy Grail that held Jesus' blood from the Crucifixion, said to have been brought here by Joseph of Arimathea.

You can drink the water, which is reputed to have healing properties:


Mind you, the water is also reputed to be warm like blood, and I can tell you from personal experience wading in bathing pool that this is SADLY NOT TRUE!

"HOOOOOLY ... springs!"
The actual Chalice Well looks like this:


What happens there in Falling Deep? You'll have to wait and see!

No comments: