Wednesday 24 November 2010

First Aid


Yesterday I didn't have any builders in, or any delivieries booked, or friends around to visit. Yesterday I ignored the filth and the unpacking and the decorating that all needed dealing with, and I sat down and wrote a bit more of the ever-expanding novella I'm intending as my next sub to Ellora's Cave.

It's the first time in months I've had a day to myself and writing. It felt like coming home. It felt like climbing into a hot shower when you've been cold and wet and aching. I could have cried, it felt so good.

It won't happen again today. Today the electricians are supposed to be turning the power off for 3 hours, and the buildings inspector from the council is booked in for the afternoon. I have to chase up the feckless halfwits from the carpet depot too. And tomorrow I have houseguests arriving ... so I'd better clean up a bit, I suppose.

But I had a whole day! It was beautiful!


 The pic at top, btw, is my Xmas pressie from the lovely Madelynne Ellis. It was full of wonderful things like choccies (which I've, ahem, eaten already). But look what fits perfectly inside it now!


And yes, I know ... but  face it, Western literature was built on solitary drinking.

10 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

It felt like climbing into a hot shower when you've been cold and wet and aching.

Yeah, I know that feeling. Such a perfect image.

Enjoy you first aid, and your guests and your writing...

Jo said...

Oo. This makes me worried! I#m going to be part of this inundation. I will let you write! I might nap. Or bake you some cookies... Or watch Strictly Come Dancing... I never get let. Well. I'm allowed bake cookies, but it can be sressful with the kids around.

Janine Ashbless said...

Jo, don't worry - I'm looking forward to it. Having friends round is a lot more rewarding than waiting for the lino guy to turn up ... (with the right piece this time).

And I've booked myself a writing sabbatical in December when I intend to do nothing but work and ... you know....
:-)

Charlotte Stein aka The Mighty Viper said...

Hoorah! Also: LOL at the booze and the literature built on drinking.

Fulani said...

I like the idea of a writer's first aid kit that contains nothing but alcohol! What a good present.

If they come with options, though, and anyone thinks I'm worth it, I'd prefer mine to have some shag (halfzware shag, 50 gramme pack, preferably); some Columbian (high roast, ground or beans, either is fine) and a bottle of decent red wine...

On the issue of time to write, I've been having a few interrupted days myself - hope you get your electricity back, your building regulations sign-off and carpets down without problems.

Random fact: there's a band that used to be called First Aid Kit but is now called Writer's Strike.

Vincent Copsey said...

You know I'm kind of disappointed you didn't sneak at least one itty bitty dice in there with the gin :)

Janine Ashbless said...

I'd prefer mine to have some shag

So would I Fulani ;-)
Sorry, bad joke!
That thing about the band is a wierd coincidence...

Janine Ashbless said...

And Madelynne, believe it or not ...
dice pr0n!

Jo said...

I love her glasses! But look how veiny her hand is from all that dice shaking!

Vincent Copsey said...

LOL! But she has some serious old lady hands.