Monday 18 October 2010

Eyecandy Monday


My building work goes on ... and on. This is what my kitchen currently looks like:



Basically it consists of a cold tap halfway up a wall. And a saw, obviously ... for those difficult root vegetables. Which I have to eat raw.

Eek! This what they've done to my lawn:


Things I have learned during this building project:

  1. A strong appreciation for direct economics. This project pays for an average of three skilled men (and an oppressed teenager) to be employed every day. The construction trade is precarious in a way totally alien to my cosy white-collar world. If they don't work (like, if the weather's too wet to lay bricks) they don't get paid. We had three weeks of snow last winter, and the building firm I'm using had to lay off its whole workforce. Feckin' scary.
  2. Men at work never stop talking.
  3. I love it. I totally love it. This one sort of surprised me - every person I know who's had an extension done has warned that it's really stressful. I must have a good team - by  the end of every day I can see changes and despite the mess and noise and inconvenience I just find it really exciting.
 Look - new toilet!  Squeeee!

15 comments:

Jo said...

So is the toilet this monday's eyecandy? :)

I am jealous of your new toilet. I have an avodaco one that doesn't flush properly and hasn't for two years. Feh.

Hmm. I like naked and proud construction worker but he's no Logan McCree...

Anonymous said...

...worryingly... a bit David Beckham?

Danielle said...

@ jo....avodaco made me giggle*

hm...i dunno why but i somehow think its funny that we saw your toillet:-)

glad that the work goes on so well..:-)

Beth said...

That guy's building your new kitchen?!! Can I come and visit?

Jo said...

That guy's building your new kitchen?!! Can I come and visit?


Heh, yeah, he's helping Janine pitch a tent :)

Janine Ashbless said...

Ah now, I remember having an avacado bathroom, Jo! They were everywhere for a while, weren't they? - before the fashion police declared them anathema.

What I really really want though is a shower that doesn't leak into the ceiling of the rooom below. I'm not sure whether such a godlike object actually exists in reality, but I carry the ideal as a dream in my heart...

Jeremy Edwards said...

What I really really want though is a shower that doesn't leak into the ceiling of the rooom below. I'm not sure whether such a godlike object actually exists in reality...

Eccles: I got one.

You have a shower that doesn't leak into the room below?

Eccles: Yep, yep.

Amazing! How did you manage that?

Eccles: By putting de shower in de basement.

Jo said...

Lol. I hope your builders can bestow that shower wish upon you.

I suspect that clip to be Mitchell and Webb? If it is, I blogged it already :)

Jo said...

PS I meant to laugh at Jeremy's funny.

Jeremy Edwards said...

: )

Janine Ashbless said...

Lol, Jeremy! It's the only sure solution!

Madeline Moore said...

When my house was renovated I was just like you, Janine. I loved it. The workers would apologise for the noise and I'd say, no, I love it - it means my kitchen/bathroom/bathroom is coming along. I had the most beeeee-uuuuu-tttttt-fullll bathroom for awhile there.

Here's my funny story. One guy was pulling up the subfloor in the kitchen. (to put in the new one, of course.) He's downstairs bitching his FACE off and roaring and yelling 'BITCH!" 'FUCK!" "SONOFABITCH!"

Finally when I go down he says, 'Hard work.' I said, 'Yeah, I could tell.' He says, 'Hey, I only used the soft swears.'

I love that. The soft swears.

And yes, folks, although worker dude with his darling erection is eye candy, the real eye candy is, sadly, the fully functioning commode.

Now I want a toilet that doesn't leak around the bottom. Gack. I'm workin' on it.

Janine Ashbless said...

Ah Madeline, we are so much on the same wavelength again, aren't we? :-)

Jo said...

But Madeleine, at least it's not green is it??

Jules said...

For a moment I thought he was drawing a sword from a back scabbard. I clearly wasn't too focussed on that part of the photo. =)

On a not totally unrelated note, have you seen some of the casting for the Hobbit?
Richard Armitage as Thorin and Aidan Turner and Rob Kazinsky as Fili and Kili! Making handsome dark-haired guys play short beardy Dwarves...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/oct/22/hobbit-martin-freeman-bilbo-baggins
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20020426-10391698.html