Saturday 2 January 2010

Blasphemy



Well, it looks like at least one modern Western nation has decided to face the second decade of the 21st Century by retreating to the 12th. The Republic of Ireland has brought into effect a blasphemy law making you liable to a fine of 25,000 Euros for commiting blasphemy against ANY religion. Yes, that's right - any religion. Presumably including Satanism. You can be fined 25K for HURTING SOMEONE'S FEELINGS by saying or writing that what they believe is a load of shite.

Way to go, you fucking morons.

Think it doesn't matter in a wider context? 
Islamic states are lobbying at the UN to make defamation of religion a crime internationally. Ireland has voted along with the other EU States against this, because Islamic States can use blasphemy laws to justify religious persecution. These Islamic States can now point to a modern pluralist Western State passing a new blasphemy law in the 21st century.

Atheist Ireland is making a stand against this insanity by publishing a website containing 25 blasphemous and illegal quotes from a number of famous people like Jesus Christ, Muhammad, Mark Twain,  Pope Benedict XVI,  and Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor.

This is the link to the quotes page (though it may be down intermittantly because they're getting a lot of traffic at time of writing).

Go Atheist Ireland!





Condom simulacrum at top via vitriolic but highly entertaining science/atheism blog Pharyngula.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Yeah, I saw that yesterday as well. Do you know if there's an actual "Stamp out Religion" charity that I can donate to this year?

Erobintica said...

Yup, that one link is very busy (I'll check it later - I have a friend who I'm sure would love it).

Jeremy Edwards said...

Ugh. I weep for this world.

Charlotte Stein aka The Mighty Viper said...

I just wanted to say that you post the best, most thought-provoking and interesting stuff on your blog, Janine. Thank you.

Janine Ashbless said...

Can I just say, the US Constitution's enshrining of free speech as a non-negotiable facet of national life does seem (despite some lamentable side-effects), to be one of the most progressive political moves ever. If we are not free to speak the truth as far as we see it, then we are not free at all.

Jo said...

I know... I know... a blogger's life is hard at the moment. I do apologise for my country.