Wednesday 18 February 2009

Experimental e-book out now


It's the miracle of e-publishing! - I only subbed my short story Quarantine in December, and it's out already as part of the Ravenous Romance sex 'n' science anthology Experimental ... plus you can buy it as a solo publication!

My story is, I admit, a romp:

"Tessa and Lee might work together in a high security biohazard lab, but they just can't stand each other. Then a potential exposure incident means they're thrown together into a quarantine room for 23 days. Just the two of them, all alone, in a tiny claustrophobic space with no distractions. They're either going to kill each other - or have to find some other way to work off the tension ... "

This is the first time I've been purely e-published and I must admit I'm struggling slightly to come to terms with it. All I've got to show is a webpage. No hefty paperback in my hand. No addition to my ego shelf. No book to show Mr Ashbless thus justifying my sitting round all day playing Spider while he goes out to work ... This is weird! Perhaps other authors who've been e-published could help this poor Luddite out with words of wisdom...

Of course the great advantage of this format for the reader is price: the whole anthology (15 stories) is $4.99, or $1.99 for Quarantine as a standalone.

Vorsprung Durch Technik I suppose...

4 comments:

Charlotte Stein aka The Mighty Viper said...

Curse you, Janine! I really want to buy it, but I hate hate hate giving my card details to places. Oh RR, I need Paypal!

Think it will be up on Fictionwise sometime soon?

Personally I think it's cool that you're branching out into ebooks. Congrats! I mean, it's a whole different market, and the way the business is going it's the market that's going to win out, I think. Everyone wants to be in print, but if in the end people start making more money and publishing more in ebooks, they'll change their tune.

I love ebooks. I try to research the sites I'm thinking of submitting to a lot, but what I like about them is that most of the sites- Ellora's, Samhain, etc- publish erotic fantasy/sci-fi/horror. Which is my fave sort of stuff. In case you couldn't tell.

Jeremy Edwards said...

Congratulations, Janine!

Isn't it great being a writer, so that if you decide two people need to be sealed into a room until they fuck themselves silly together, you can just make it happen?

Janine Ashbless said...

Yes, being a writer is great! What other career combines sex, omnipotence and hours playing Spider?


And I reckon e-books probably are the future (speaking as someone who gave up her dining room to bookshelves and has still run out of room). But oh, the lure of the physical object...

Unknown said...

Ebooks are a way to get you published faster, as well. I'd be very interested in reading any short stories you have. We only publish smutty short stories:

www.paper-bag-press.com

Lovely blog,

Amy Barnes